You already know which foods to eat to celebrate or for comfort. They are your “Go-To’s”. But how do you fuel your body to lose weight? It’s really confusing these days.
And even the USDA has changed their minds over and over again – forever confusing new generations.
They are pushing “Back to Basics” now, you can click that link to read about it. But the reality is, nutrition is really, really simple.
And it doesn’t quite line up with the USDA’s food plate in 2021.
Like I’ve said, I’m not a nutritionist, a therapist, or a doctor.
You need to check everything you find, here or elsewhere on the internet, against your personal medical chart. You may have other dietary needs, or are on medications that require a special diet.
This is generalized information, designed as a guide. Check with your medical team before undergoing any dietary regiment.
So, you’ve understood the disclaimer, and now are ready to learn how to fuel your body to lose weight!
How To Fuel Your Body To Lose Weight
You can fuel your body to lose weight by choosing meals that have the highest amount of protein, followed by vegetables, and cooked with Omega-6 rich fats and real butter.
This is a delicious way to “diet” for the rest of your life.
The Three Food Pillars
Whenever you are faced with a meal choice, try to pick the option that falls into these three categories.
Meals with proteins, complex carbs, and cooked with fats and simple carbs will check all your nutritional boxes. As long as you can keep your portion size under control, you’ll be full and losing weight.
Protein is Literally In “First-Place”
Whether you are a vegetarian, going through gastric bypass, or trying to bulk up your muscle, everyone needs to find the protein first.
This doesn’t necessarily mean you should jump on whatever extreme high-protein diet is trendy right now. This means, you should pick meals with the most obvious amounts of proteins as the base of the dish.
For example, chili for dinner will probably be a better choice than spaghetti with meat sauce. The base of chili is made up of fiber proteins in the beans.
Even better if it also has some kind of ground beef, too. Then, all the tomatoes and seasonings are added in. On the side, a small slice of cornbread is great.
Spaghetti has a big base of noodles, which are mostly carbs. Yes, there are some proteins. But chili has a higher concentration, so is the better choice in this fight.
Now, if you made the spaghetti with zoodles, which are spiraled zucchini or spaghetti squash, then you have two really good, more equal choices for dinner. Especially if you throw a cup of green peas into the mix.
Because the vegetables have plant-based proteins, and those count. Then, the spaghetti would actually be the winner.
That doesn’t mean you can never have regular spaghetti or other pasta dishes. You should just have them less often in the weekly meal planning rotation.
What are proteins:
- Lean Cuts of Meat: pork, lamb, beef, deer, elk, etc.
- Poultry – chicken, turkey, guinea fowl, duck
- Fish – Tuna, tilapia, salmon
- Eggs – eggs whites or the whole egg
- Dairy – milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream
- Seeds and Nuts – sunflower seeds, almonds, pine nuts, etc.
- beans and legumes – peas are in the legume family, and are a high source. Black beans and refried beans are great!
A warning on protein shakes and powders:
Tread lightly with protein shakes and powders. Unless you are in a medical need, or are trying to GAIN weight to bulk up muscle, stay away from these.
But these are weight loss protein shakes, you say? I know. But I would STRONGLY caution you away from trying to hit your protein goals through shakes and protein powder.
Even if you replace a meal with them. They are so overly processed that unless you mix them in with the cooking of fruits and vegetables, you’ll sabotage your progress.
Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done better, faster, and with more satisfaction? Yes. Besides, once you stop “dieting” on protein shakes, all of your hard work will be undone anyway.
The next biggest thing to look for in your meal is complex carbohydrates. The body takes a while to process these, so even though they have carbohydrates, it’s ok.
When we eat our meals that have the right proportions, they will work together to give us the highest nutrition possible. When we choose more complex carbs as the majority of our meal (American style spaghetti…) we’ll end up gaining weight.
But you don’t actually have to remove them from your diet. Just change the way you choose them. Don’t let them be the star. of every meal. Make them the supporting characters in your dish.
What are complex carbohydrates:
- whole grains
- legumes (peas, peanuts, lentils, etc.)
- Beans and legumes are found in both protein and complex carbs! What an amazing food!
The general public are armchair experts on fats. But the reality is that the majority of us have the tiniest amount of knowledge, enough only to make us dangerous.
As a result, fats have received a label of BAD! Stay away! But, that’s not the case at all.
You can make so many recipes with just proteins and complex carbs, and never add in another thing. Because you’ll be unknowingly using the right mix of fats the right way.
Fats play an important role in the function of the body, and in the function of weight loss. And in the way we enjoy our foods.
Also, the best and most efficient energy burners are carbs and fats. When you stop providing them in your body, the idea is that your body will use the fats and carbs stored up.
And while that’s true, getting to the point where you’re body is doing that is the point of following fad diets.
So, if you’re only eating proteins or complex carbs, the idea is that your body will use the fat stores in your cells to create energy.
And this is true, but doesn’t mean you should cut out every fat out there.
The fad is how to get there fast! It’s usually an extreme route, like cutting out all carbs and fats and sugars.
Easy Rules for Losing Weight With Fats
- Prepare your own food using these Omega-6 foods: walnuts, safflower oil, tofu, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, avocado oil, eggs, almonds, cashews,
- Always cook with a generous helping of olive oil and a small pat of REAL butter. The butter will enhance the olive oil flavor, and elevate the taste of your meals.
- Create complete meals: large amount of protein prepared in that oil & butter, with smaller amount of complex carbs
What To Avoid To Fuel Your Body To Lose Weight
- Do not rely on eating too much of any one thing. This research analysis done by the Cochrane library determined that even eating too many Omega-3 foods didn’t have any real heart heath benefits. So, let’s bring variety back into our lives to see real change, and keep ourselves from getting bored.
- Avoid these Omega-6 fatty acids: marbled steaks (make them a treat, not a staple), coating everything in clarified butter (crab this way is a treat, not a staple), hamburgers dripping in grease (you know the kind
- Drastically reduce simple carbohydrates from your life:
- processed, white sugar
- fruit juice
- pancake syrup
- ice cream & the fixings
- fruit canned in syrup (look for the kind canned in water)
- milkshakes, or blended coffees (Frappuchinos, Frappes, Coolattas or Dunkaccinos) – these are milkshakes disguised as grown up coffees. You don’t have to stop having them, but instead of every morning, maybe only once a week.
You Can Fuel Your Body To Lose Weight!
This is a lot of information, I know. Check out the recipes page to compare the meals there against what you’ve learned to really see this in action.
And then… Go Eat!
Don’t forget, you can follow along with the YouTube channel to make some of these yummy creations as well.
As always, happy weight loss! <3
Related: How To Stop Failing At Weight Loss
Why Does My Shoulder hurt after gastric bypass If you've recently had gastric bypass surgery, you may be wondering why does my shoulder hurt after gastric bypass? You didn't have surgery on your...
Think and Lose Weight Easily Principle 12 How do you stop self sabotaging? In the 12th Principle in our Think and Lose Weight series, let's talk about The Brain. And its role in sabotaging...