Making these Egg Muffins ahead of your week is going to set you up for so much success. All you have to do is gather your healthy, pre-made breakfast and lunch options before work on your way out the door.
Making large batches of food can feel daunting at first.
But don’t let that discourage you. After you’ve done it a few weeks in a row, you’ll be so fast at doing your food prep that it won’t feel much like a chore.
Especially if you look forward to eating these in the morning.
I made these because I’d usually stop at Starbucks and get their egg bites, but I don’t have the gear (or patience with toddlers) to try to replicate that at home.
These do just as well, fill me up, and I can feed them to the kids and husband without complaint, too.
Scroll to the bottom of the recipe for the YouTube video for this recipe!
Make Ahead Egg Muffins: Substitutions
Get creative with these. Use the recipe from the Crab Fritatta, and make muffins out of those! Add spices.
Try making a sweet version, using nutmeg and applesauce. Try making a mini-quiche Lorraine out of them. A 3 cheese blend would be really yummy, too.
I think I’ll make a bunch of recipes using this process, in fact! Check back frequently for new recipes!
Make Ahead Egg Muffins: Gastric Bypass Specifics
Eggs after gastric bypass can be a challenge. If you’re struggling, start out with poached eggs first, and then work on adding scrambled eggs to the other dishes you CAN tolerate.
The most important thing is to just keep trying until you can tolerate egg. The nutrients from eggs are so vital to your health, so it’s worth a bit of discomfort to keep working on introducing them in your meals.
If you are still having trouble, try Egg Beaters or the version with just the egg whites for your scrambled eggs or for the egg substitute in this recipe.
If you only use the egg white version, though, you’ll be missing out on the really rich nutrients from the yolk.
Buy The Stuff
Amazon Basics Reusable Silicone Baking Cups, Pack of 24, Multicolor
Make Ahead Egg Muffins
- stainless steel pan
- cupcake or muffin pan
- cupcake liners
- kitchen scissors
- knife for dicing
- sandwich storage bag
- Baker's Joy Cooking Spray
- 1 LB Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage Sage is a great flavor choice
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ 16 oz. Bacon uncooked
- 1 med onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- ¼ Cup Herbs De Provence Seasoning blend
- 1 12 oz. spinach frozen
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1½ Cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 can mushrooms
- dash salt and pepper
- HEAT THE BUTTER AND OIL UNTIL IT FOAMS, BROWN THE SAUSAGE ON THE STOVE WITH OIL AND BUTTER.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375F (190C). PUT THE CUPCAKE LINERS IN THE CUPCAKE PAN, SPRAY WITH BAKERS JOY. SPRAY THE WHOLE PAN.
- DICE THE ONION
- ADD A LITTLE MORE BUTTER AND OLIVE OIL TO KEEP IT MOIST, LET THE BUTTER FOAM. ADD THE ONION TO THE SAME PAN AS THE SAUSAGE. SAUTE TOGETHER. ONCE BROWNED, LOWER THE HEAT TO MED-LOW.
- ADD THE HERBS DE PROVENCE SEASONING BLEND TO THE MEAT AND ONIONS
- CUT UP THE BACON (I USE SCISSORS – WASH THE SCISSORS BEFORE AND AFTER USING, BTW)
- ADD THE SPINACH TO THE MEAT AND ONION. COVER AND INCREASE THE HEAT TO MED-HIGH.
- IN A SEPARATE BOWL, CRACK THE EGGS AND ADD THE WHIPPING CREAM. WHIP TOGETHER UNTIL THERE IS A BEAUTIFUL CREAM.
- ONCE THE SPINACH HAS DEFROSTED, MIX THE MEAT AND ONION AND SPINACH TOGETHER.
- ADD THE PARMESEAN CHEESE TO THE EGG/CREAM MIXTURE.
- MIX THE EGG AND CHEESE WELL.
- DRAIN THE MUSHROOMS, AND ADD TO THE SPINACH (DON'T ADD TO0 EARLY)
- ADD SALT/PEPPER TO THE MEAT/SPINACH MIXTURE
- TASTE IT! MAKE SURE THE SEASONING IS HOW YOU WANT IT.
- FILL EACH CUPCAKE LINER WITH 2 TBPS OF THE MEAT MIXTURE.
- FILL EACH CUPCAKE WITH 2 TBPS OF THE EGG/CHEESE MIXTURE, DIRECTLY OVER THE MEAT
- SPRINKLE EACH CUPCAKE WITH THE MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- BAKE IN THE OVEN FOR 35 MINUTES.
- LET THEM COOL, THEN PUT 2 IN A SANDWICH BAGGY, AND FREEZE. TO RE-HEAT, REMOVE FROM SANDWHICH BAGGY, PUT IN MICROWAVE FOR 1 MINUTE.
"No Excuses Chili" is my Go-To weight loss recipe when it is cold outside, or I know I'm in for a busy day.
Why Does My Shoulder hurt after gastric bypass If you've recently had gastric bypass surgery, you may be wondering why does my shoulder hurt after gastric bypass? You didn't have surgery on your...